Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Total Let Down ~ School Issues 2 ~

"I discovered early that the hardest thing to overcome is not a physical disability but the mental condition which it induces. The world, I found, has a way of taking a man pretty much at his own rating. If he permits his loss to make him embarrassed and apologetic, he will draw embarrassment from others. But if he gains his own respect, the respect of those around him comes easily." - Alexander de Seversky


The Second " First" day, started OK, However when I picked up kaid today, I noticed that his Training pants, were showing, drooping down, soaking his little shorts, his clothes were all dischevled, as well as his Sweet new shoes were tied in complete Knots. When I asked the Aid , he said he did not even notice. It took all my might, not to loose my cool right in front of everyone right there. I quickly put kaid in the car, Dialed the School and began my Numerous phone calls, trying to find out WHY he was not Changed, or helped to the Bathroom. Kaid, will go if you help him there, it appears as though no one did. Now leaving a complete rash on his back side. After having a complete meltdown ~ Again~ after picking him up from school, I just could not believe this was happening. First off, this is DAY 2 of the School year, Do you think kaids teacher called me, to talk about what happened, or to see how to best help him? NOT one call.. Me, I am On it.. Every Single Day, Calling the office. I received a Phone call this afternoon from the Principal, after explaining to her my major concerns and the one major being his toileting. I was told that Kaid's teacher was not able to review the IEP for him, as she just got them last week. Taking a minute to ponder that, I let it marinate for a min, and then told her, This was Not acceptable! I feel like we are in a nightmare, and I can not see the light right now. EVERY child deserves the right to the best and " Least" restrictive environment. What ever the case is, They really are messing with the wrong momma. I Do not want to fight, and seem like I am wanting this, I just will not allow him to be in a class to be babysat. Kaid can do everything, at first though he needs to be directed, with any kids with needs, repetition will make thing better. If it was up to me, He would be Pulled out of this school yesterday, and moved to Charter/Art therapy School. I am learning So much right now though, from being his Voice. I address this issues with the facts, and the rights that Kaid Should be receiving. This Lovely IEP, is Thick, its a blueprint for Staff, and teachers to review to find out more about him, etc... Not having them open it up, to review it.. Very Against the Law...So.. from now on, My blogs are going to be Posted School Issues. I have calls into several people , from the School district hopefully I will be able to discover why this is happening at this school. For school tomorrow, I am going to grab a Hot Chocolate, and walk kaid in to class, and observe for a while. We will overcome this

Science may have found a cure for most evils; but it has found no remedy for the worst of them all -- the apathy of human beings." - Helen Keller

4 love notes:

Corey said...

I'm in tears reading your past few posts! I'm so sorry Andrea! This should never have happened, how horrible! What were these people thinking! It sounds like the teachers there are either overwhelmed by their workload or just don't care any more about being teachers because they are definitely NOT doing their job. With you first child and especially with one so special like Kaid, we want the best for them and isn't natural to to expect that they will get fair treatment at school and not left on the sidelines to fend for themselves. I remember helping out a few times in my elementary school's special ed class and the teacher's that really made it work were true angels. I hope that the teachers their begin to hear your voice and if not that you can find a better environment for Kaid to learn in. You shouldn't have to worry about how you child is treated while gone at school. That is just wrong! Good luck with everything! You are a strong woman and so blessed to be Kaid's mommy! Keep up the fight, you will win!

ds.mama said...

Just an idea... could you spend a day or two in Kaid's classroom "training" his aide? It seems like there is a big disconnect between Kaid's abilities and what the teacher and aide understand about him, like that he can use the bathroom if encouraged. Also with mom there for a day or two the aide will not be able to slack off and will understand exactly what is expected of him.

I am so sorry Kaid is going through this and I cannot believe that the teacher hasn't even bothered to at least peruse his IEP. That is completely unacceptable. Keep on them momma, you are doing the right things!

Jennifer said...

Okay, YOU are awesome. No wonder you're Kaid's mom! You are the most competent and amazing mom for him. I think going into his classroom is an excellent idea. It sounds like they need some training and some hands-on guidance on how to treat Kaid. Good luck to all of you!! :)

Andrea said...

Thank you Everyone! I have Truly felt the Lords hand for sure this week.. I have more strength then I have ever known. Thank you for your thoughts, and sweet words :)