Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Day To Remember, Forget & Re-Do!

This day Needs to Be RE-done in Every Aspect! First, the Alarm went off at 7:30am, ( school starts at 8:30) Everything was Smooth.. Shower, Breakfast,he brushed his teeth, Stoked to put his new clothes on, even the backpack. This was a scary thing for me, us.. and Kaid as well. New school, New everything... .Arriving kaid was SO excited, signing the Excited sign, giving us a hug goodbye, and then off to his Chair. We all said a Family Prayer, ( in the car before ) So I really felt great about his first day. As I was leaving the Spirit told me, ( Screamed at me pretty much.. So loud.. ) To leave my Cell phone number. Hm.. I quickly jotted it down, and let them know, (Little did I know just how much they would need that in.. Oh, 37 min.) I then ran a few errands, and when arrived home, I noticed I missed a few calls on my cell, I must have had it on Silent. Listening to the messages, my Heart Sank... then, I felt sick, then.. I thought I was going to pass out. This is what I heard. " Hello, this is Mrs. June from King elementary, kaid just bit a teachers Aid
and drew blood, you need to come take him home asap, " then hung up. Was I hearing this right? With Zero pause, I called the school, I could not believe what they were saying. I drove as fast as the speed limit permitted, to the school. Arriving in the Office, I was filled with different emotions; How could this have happened? Kaid has NEVER ever bitten anyone, let alone caused Harm to anyone. I then thought how scared he was probably, and having this the Very First day, the craziness.. was to be Expected, Not biting in any means, but.. Come one.. Kaid is not doing something Intentional! That is exactly how they treated this situation, as though he was intending to harm her. One lady told me he was not to come back to school until Next Monday, He was Suspend!! I can not even begin to explain how I felt, for me & kaid, how truly crushed, broken, hurt, & sad for both him and the TA. The "Victim" was totally ok, he just Broke through her shirt, and scratched her arm, there was blood but no teeth marks at all.
So, This is what happened.. From 10am or so, when I picked him up, I was on the phone trying to figure out what really happened, I received nothing from his school to provide telling me what truly happened. Kids with disabilities, have different sort of discipline guidelines, however nothing was followed. I found out that the TA, that kaid " Bit" tried to confine him, from getting to play with other kids. Clearly in his IEP, it is layed out that kaid has behavior needs, and never try to retrrain him.. funny how, his teacher said she never read it.
The end result was, I was not ok, with the Suspension. In his eyes he did nothing wrong, no one addressed it at the point, they carried on with there morning, letting kaid carry on as if nothing happened. I want people to understand that, it's not ok at all that he bit someone, it's the fact that, this was 100% not intentional, #2 this should have been handed in the class room with a Time out. After Several atempts to reach the principal to find out what happened, I called the head District office. After telling her the situation, she told me to talk to
the Special Ed, Director ( Highest up you can get. ) She personally called me today, and told me that Kaid WOULD be going back to school tomorrow, and just how sorry she was for how this situation was handled. She advised me that the Principal would be calling me, to tell me as well, She Calls me at 4: 46pm tonight, Not one Apology, just to tell me that Kaid was " Allowed " back to school. We are so disappointed in how this school has handled this, however I am very Optimistic. I know that Kaid will blossom, if it's here, or a different school. It was Heart breaking, pulling him from class today, when he truly did not understand why he was not able to stay. With ANY child, you don't punish them, WAY after the fact, you handle it right there and then..


To be Continued....... Tomorrow.. IS Going to be Kaid's


" Second" First Day of School! Cant' be worse.. right?

Kris, sorry, kaid would just not let me take a good shot of him, back is about it. So Happy..

Truly Hope that He's this Happy for Try # 2 Tomorrow :)



9 love notes:

Emily said...

Good Luck tomorrow. Hang in there!

Dublinia said...

What a horrible, nasty, ugly woman! I cried for nearly an hour hearing what happened to my little guy. Tell him how much I love him and give him huge hugs loves!

Mark and Karen said...

That is awful...so sorry you both had to experience this. I hope all goes well tomorrow.

ds.mama said...

I actually had a little giggle remembering how my "typical" son bit half his Kindergarten class last year. Kids react in new and different situations, Ds or not. I am shocked that they even tried to suspend him, how ridiculous! Sounds like the aide needs a behavior plan so that she can learn how to interact peacefully with nervous Kindergarteners.

Jennifer said...

Oh, I'm so sorry!!! You both had high hopes for the day, I know. It's really disappointing that they didn't read his IEP!! Here's hoping the second "first day" goes a lot better!!!

MotherBeck said...

Poor Kaid...poor YOU! I hope today is better..

Brenda said...

I am so unimpressed with how this school handled the situation. You're a very patient woman. My boys had troubles at the schools for the last two years (mostly their fear of wind...long story.) This year, we are trying something different. Educating at home and a coop with friends. So far, we love it. Good luck, may the next day be much improved. Bless you for your positive attitude.

Amanda said...

Hang in there Andrea, things will get better. I know here you can attend class, or ask that a para-ed be assigned to help. I hope today gets 100% better!!

Maggie said...

Sorry to hear about your first day experience! Hope this teaches the school district a lesson. Great job to you for standing up for Kaid, but I wouldn't expect anything less!