Friday, July 3, 2009

Tonsils,Adnoids,New Ear Tubes

Sorry, to those that asked about kaid, and his recovery. Life here has been quite busy, luckly with two sleeping boys, I can catch up on my blog. I know that this is not a big deal ( in the scheme of surgeries..) Pretty standard with some kids, to have there tonsils, adenoids taken out. With kaid however, hospitals /Dr offices are more frequentlly visited by him, you would think he would get use to this having already had tubes put in. Oh.. So not the case.
Surgury day was June 30Th, we checked in at 6am, and slowly realized the doctor needed kaid to have more X-rays of his Spine/Neck. FRUSTRATING! becasue we had them done last year. It is quite common with DS kids, to have neck and spine x-rays. There little neck's can go out of place, causing damage during the operation, (if he has issues) After getting a clean x-ray ( 1.5 hrs later ) he went in at 9:15am. Right before they came in to get him, he was being very restless.. almost knowing what was to come... The anesthesiologist came in and gave him a little " sleep shot" on his bum bum. Of all the blood draws, shots, THIS was the Saddest to me to watch. It was almost an instant thing for him, as his eyes slowly slid shut he reached out for me, but only could manage a little finger out of the Bar slats.. ( He was in a Train..) The blue cage looking thing.. For his safety. I felt like he was an endangered animal or something, ( Dont ask me why.. ) Then the Waiting game begaun.
When the Dr. Came to get, and proceeded to talk to me when kaid was in recovery. He told me that there was some pretty severe issues with his ears. There was a pretty bad infection, that he flushed out and let fully drain before placing the new tube in. Knowing what I know know about tubes, these are going to be a constant companion for kaid for most of his life.
That 1st day coming home was H***! Both for me and him. All I wanted to do, was to erase all his pain. Forcing liquids was not fun either. I finially broke down and took him to get the Largest Icee we could buy. That Worked! Besides having Blue and purple lips.. it kept his hydrated, and Sugar hydrated too unfortunatlly. Watching your kids hurt is such a sucky feeling. It's been 4 days now, he is starting to feel so much better. He wants FOOD! This is So great as well, during the surgery time we took him off his Awful Medication for AdHD, and replaced with a much better one, which we feel is working Beautifully, ( Still a bit too early to tell. ) Thank you to all that sent well wishes, and prayers.
On a Side note, I had Karson with me when Kaid woke up, and what do you know, Kaid wanted me to hold him, as well as Karson... So the nurse asked if she could take Karson for me, and walk him around..
It was So nice, karson is For sure the Flirt, he has NO problems going to perfect strangers. Note: This could be a bad thing..


You gain strength,courage,and
confidence by every experience in
which you really stop to look fear in
the face. You must do the thing which
you think you cannot do.

---- Eleanor Roosevelt


I feel like I need to keep a log, how much medicine, when, etc. There are 4 others, that are not on here for his Ear infection as well. I do not want this to sound like a lot, as there are other's that have it far worse then this, I just have
the most compassion for anyone that has kids that need to take several medications... or that are sick for long time... etc.. It totally takes a TON of paitence.

Pretty Blury.. Sorry..

Right before the Shot came..

Loves the " Red " finger That's what he calls it.
Relax'n.. Let's Do this..
The night before.. We had family Sticker night..
YEah.. Kaid Loves loves stickers..

3 love notes:

Jennifer said...

Okay, that last sticker picture is the cutest ever. :) Glad he is doing better. Sounds like such a hard thing! Love the Eleanor Roosevelt quote!!!

Kristen said...

Who knew the surgery would turn him into an insominiac..so sorry that you are all sleep deprived.

Cheryn said...

Poor Kaid and poor parents. Have you guys moved yet? You still haven't told me where you are moving. Want to get together but only when things settle down for you (and us ;D)

Love ya!