Monday, June 22, 2009

Last Day School, First Day Summer Break!


For Kaid's last Day of school, his class had a party, and his teacher asked me if I would like to help!! I pretty much was Speechless! Reason being... All year ( pretty much) I would e-mail his teacher and ask,if I would be able to help out in the class room, or do something to be there to watch him grow. For some weird reason, she kept telling me that they had all the help they needed.. ( Sniff Sniff ) So when she asked me On the LAST day.. you can imagine I was Stoked! As karson and I arrived, carrying our Rice crispies that kaid and I made, we were greeted by many hugs at the door by kaid and his class mates. This last year, having kaid in a CBC3 ( Special Needs Program ) Was Extremely Difficult for me. The whole year I fought for him to have more time in the " General Ed " kindergarten, and to be able to play sports with everyone, not just separate. So my heart was a little heavy as I opened the door, to see his class room. I had been in there several times for meetings and such, however not seeing kaid interact with his friends, and how others interacted with him. As I slowly walked in, I was rushed ( not even kidding ) by at least 5 of kaids classmates, and kaid. The love that was in that room was unspeakable. I fought to hold back the tears, as I could feel them wanting to slide down my cheek. I was Happy, I was not just happy that Kaid was Proud of his class, But I was Happy that Kiad was Shinning, unlike I have ever seen before. For some people that have not been around many kids with Special needs, kaids class had some pretty challenged little kids. When I walked in they were playing Musical Chairs, there were 4 kids left, kaid being one of them. As the music started, they started walking around, as it stopped, kaids little friend tripped on some thing on the floor, and she fell. Not even skipping a beat, he ran up to her, held out his hand and helped her up. This in turn was the result of kaid giving up his chair to her. I was really moved, I felt like pinching myself to see if I was dreaming. I knew kaid was sweet, however I know how he is competitive. To watch him give something up for someone else moved me in a way that I can not explain.
When it was time to go out to Recess, Kaid booked it, and started playing. When all of a sudden, a older grade class came out for recess, kaid started running towards them. I was about to run after him, when the Recess monitor lady walked towards me. She started telling me that everyday when kaids class would come out, this fourth grade class would come out as well to play soccar. She said that the first day kaid saw how to play, he got it down and they excepted him as one of there own. As I was watching him play and interact with them, he Kicked the ball to another little boy, whom in turn made the goal, as they all cheered, and said " Good Job Kaid. " She added, saying that he was a real popular guy, not shy at all just loved to be around people. And then it happened, I began to cry, not little tear either. We are talking embarrassing cry. I tried to hide it as well, by walking around the track to watch him in action, snapping pictures to block my blotchy face. This is All I HAD PRAYED FOR. For kaid to feel like he was just like everyone else. It is So different when all you want for your kids, to never be hurt, to never be made fun of for being the way he is, for not talking like everyone else. I can not always guard that, however I can build up his self-confidence so he will always know how important he is. And watching him today, I know that he knows, that he is one Awesome little guy.



I believe in angels,
The kind that heaven sends,
I am surrounded by angels,
But I call them friends.

Many people will walk in
and out of your life,
but only true friends will leave
footprints in your heart.

-- Anonymous



Then the next day to kick off our First day of summer break, we went to our " Rubber Park" aka, Washington Park.
For the longest time I have been calling it that, I just love it. Kory, Kent's little brother came and helped me. Kaid has a special bond with him. It was hard to take pic of kaid as, he was running here, there, and then the Sand, where he stayed for over 1 hour. Karson, got his first little swing ride, which he was all smiles about.
Can not wait for more Fun times This Summer...




































5 love notes:

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness, that is the sweetest post! I am SO GLAD you had that experience, and I would have been bawling my eyes out, too!! :) I'm so glad that Kaid's experience has been so wonderful. That is awesome. Love the pictures, too!

Mark and Karen said...

Kaid is amazing and I'm truly going to be miss him when you guys leave in August...just when I feel like Kaid and I are finally really bonding. I love Kaid and to hear of his school experience was simply wonderful! You made me teary eyed too.

Andrea said...

Oh... thank you Karen and Jennifer.. We are going to miss everyone forsure. I know that Kaid is really bonding with you to karen, so it's extra tough for me.. to leave.. ( sniff.. sniff..)

Noell said...

What a special mother you are, you have just as special children. I would have had tears rolling down my cheeks too. Thank you so much for sharing. I am so happy to know that programs like Kaid's are so great for them and so much love is shared with the children there, however I happen to know his mother and I am sure he didn't just learn to be a good friend soley at school. I loved that poem and the pictures are so sweet. So very very true.

Kristen said...

What a fun day! WIsh I was with you. I hate chapters ending.