Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Theraputic Horse Farm

What an amazing experience I had today.. I attended kaid's field trip this am.  I was not too stoked about having it be early, However I was so excited to see kaid interact with his peer's and the horses.  This place we went to, specializes in children with special needs.  As I pulled up, ( I followed the bus) I must say I had tear's in my eyes.  My little boy, Well.. 6 year old now, was growing up,  I watched him get off the bus, go over to the other children, reach out to hold his little friends hand, and wait until all the other's got off the bus.  As I watched kaid, It was like he transformed.  I was mesmerized.  There was something about the animal's that calmed him down.  I was SO sure that kaid would not want anything to do with riding the horses, or having ANY thing to do with the sheep.  I say this because we just went to the fair, and he was terrified of the little pony's.  To my amazement, it was as though kaid knew these big friends.  There were about 15 students, all taking turns riding the horses.  Some having more challenging disabilities, I was just so humbled, watching these little angles' light up around the horses.  This was something that wanted to be around them, and would let them interact with them.  I could not stop holding back by tears' as the teacher's aid asked kaid " Kaid, it's your turn, would you like to ride the horse?" With the biggest smile he yelled " YES"  goosebumps going up and down my arms, I was just frozen. One with pure joy! that he wanted too. Second, I was a little scared, that he would jump off.  As he got fitted for his helmets, ( One after the other, he's head was the smallest)  One fit the best.  The gate opened, and kaid started to walk towards his horse, with a " Hatch " wave back to me, ( waving under his chin) he was walking up the steps to climb on the horse.  As he was positioning himself on the horse, he could not stop talking!  He was on cloud nine, I could tell.... As I kept snapping away with the camera, I am not too sure if all the pictures, came out, I could barley see, as I was crying so much.  Kaid was wond
ering why I was crying, When I signed I was Happy!  He gave me the thumbs UP!  I know you are probably wondering, Why I was crying, Well.. Being a mom of a little one with Down syndrome, I wanted the very best, still do. I want
 kaid to feel like he fit's in, as every mom does.  Today I really realized.  He does fit in. Kaid is Kaid, he totally
 understands EVERYTHING you say.. granted he might not like what you say, and follow you, but he understands.  I really  fell short with not giving him enough credit.  I really felt bad. Seeing kaid on the horse, and the excitement in his eyes, and the pure love he had for the horse... words can not tell you enough the way I was feeling.  As the instructor came to a stop with the horse, Kaid signed,  " More, and then said, " Please"  Ahhh..  With 5 other kids waiting for there turn, the instructor, told kaid, 2 more times, no problem.  I am Just so proud of kaid.  I was even more proud that I wanted to go with him, I was the only other mom that was there.  It' not easy day in and day out sometimes with callenging behavior, however today really showed me, that This Really does work... Therapy for children with needs, I am constantly loving all my moments being able to be at home with my boys, and to watch kaid grow, I just LOVE him SO much!!

5 love notes:

Kristen said...

oh my buddy!!! I was crying reading this. YOur feelings about him just wanting to fit in and experiance the best in life is what every mother feels, I would only imagine it would be sweeter for you because you dont take it for granted like I do sometimes. Having Kaid has been a huge blessing. I am so glad it was such a great day!

Maggie said...

that is really amazing Andrea! I saw this in so many mothers and kids when I volunteered at a similar place in Eagle Creek. Kaid is such a big boy! Hopefully Kaid can do more of this.. animals do amazing things for people!

Corey said...

What an awesome experience for the both of you! Next time you are up in Seattle, you've totally got to come over to my parent's place and ride the horses! Hyrum just loves having a little pony and it really helps him to be calm and focused as well. Horses have such a calming effect on people and totally react to our emotions. Now you know why I just can't seem to live without them. :)

smiliesar said...

What a great day! I'm so happy for you and Kaid. I love programs out there that provide these services.

DjCide said...

It looks like he loved that!