Monday, June 16, 2008

Being a Mom


This post is a post of Frustration/wanting to vent. I am in Utah right now, I have been here for 3weeks. I so happy to be here! It's so nice for akid to be with his cousins, However I am noticing when I first arrived kaid went in to freak mode. I am not too sure what happened, change of scenery, people, no dad around. I was in for a long road. So then My friend Sarah sent me an e-mail about a little kindergarten boy ( Kicked out of his class for being autistic) So this got me thinking. Not that Kaid has more issues, but just I am not happy with the health care that I have been receiving for him. This launched me into research mode before I left, and still here. For all of us that are mom's, we will do anything for our kido's, I just had no Idea that this was going to entail telling the doctors what to do. So right before we left for Utah, I took kaid into the Dr's for his 5yr old check-up, and something told me, ( Andrea Do research, look to see what he needs) I looked on line at the down syndrome websites, and other one's that I know of, to see all the tests that he should have had and such. Well.. to my amazement.. there were SO many that he did not have, and were suppose to have been done 2-3 years prior. Well.. trying to be calm, I demanded this certain blood work and X-rays, for Kaid, Having only this paper that I printed out showing all I wanted the doctor looked over it, almost in question like why? I was strong though. That was So different for me, I just trusted.. so much that his health Care professionals would know what tests to give, and ask. So, needless to say.. the blood work came back positive, however this is just to everyone out there that maybe does not want to say something, or just goes in to the Dr. Visits regularly no problems, Ask away. These are our kids. How precious they are. This is not a slam to the Health Care providers by any means, Just for mom's to be aware, you never Know! Use your Heart, and your Stomach ( in my case. ) I just could not rest... I knew something was Majorly wrong, They just kept telling me everything was just fine. I am grateful that this opened my eye's up to be more proactive, not that I was not before, just more awake.

4 love notes:

Unknown said...

ANDREA!!! What a wonderful surprise. It has been a long time. I am so glad that you sent me a message. Kaid is so adorable. It's funny that you guys were talking about me (I hope it was good) the other day because I actually thought about you guys a few days ago. I came across an old e-mail from Mike. How is he doing anyways? I haven't heard from him in forever. I would love to hear more about you guys and what's going on and where you live. I know that's what the blog is for but my e-mail is senessatiffany@yahoo.com. Look forward to talking to you soon :)

Corey said...

I totally agree! Parenting is so hard since you start out having no clue what you are doing. It's very frustrating thinking everything is okay with your child and find out there is something being over looked. Lately I've been trying to research a link between hyperactivity and diet to see what sort of foods I can feed Hyrum to help keep him calmer. Do you have any suggestions?

Christopher & Kayleigh said...

Oh yay! I'll cross my fingers for a cute lil girl, but either way, im sure u will ae an adorable baby!im in idaho again this weekend, but i'll see you when im back! good luck! & have fun!
kay

Heather Mowrer said...

Amen! You go sister. I feel strongly about this too. Doctors are a resource, but they can't possibly know our kids like we do. I just wish they'd listen better.