Monday, September 27, 2010

Buddy walk 2010

This past Saturday was NWDSA Annual Buddy Walk, and by far this year was the best! Each year we notice the crowd bigger, and organization better, this year was fabulous. We enjoyed dancing, watching hula hoop contest, ( karson tried.. ) There was a noticeably prominent different color shirt though when we walked in. Bright Yellow shirts were on I would say 1/3 of the crowd, after asking I was even more happy that we did not miss the walk. On the shirt was a boy named
Nathan, I recognized one of the women wearing the shirts, and only after she took the stage, and begun to talk the tears started to flow. I copied this from a news article.

"Nathan Vredevelt was sixteen, and had Down Syndrome, and his friends and family loved him very much. Sunday, he went to see the Trail Blazers play, and got to watch the game from a luxury box, where he’d watched the game many times. Nathan’s parents stayed home, and instead his sister and caregiver took their place. Nathan asked to use the bathroom, and when he found the door locked, he exited the sky box. His caregiver was near the entire time, but thought that Nathan was in the bathroom. He was missing less than five minutes when the call went out on the radio.
No one knows why he left the Rose Garden that night, or why he wandered into I-5, where he was struck by multiple vehicles traveling at freeway speed. Less than twenty minutes had gone by from the time he went missing to the time he was hit.
Nathan suffered severe head trauma, fractures, and internal injuries.
Nathan was hospitalized, and his family never wandered very far from him. Nathan’s mother publicly forgave the drivers of the vehicles and the people he was with at the game.
Nathan Vredevelt passed away peacefully today, Thursday, March 05, 2009, surrounded by family. He never regained consciousness from his injuries, and was removed from life support. He did not feel any pain. Nathan was a sophomore at Gresham High School." - Examiner.com

The Reason why, I am saying this, When we found out Kaid had Down Syndrome I received a Book, Still to this day I am not to sure who gave it to me. It was " Angel Behind The Rocking Chair" and Pam ( Nathans mother) was the Author. For Years now, I have wanted to write her, and tell her how much this helped me, and at times We experienced our own, Angels that were in the room. I was Just So moved that she was the Guest speaker, and the tribute was for Nathan, and to show all the love the community everyone had for him.

The Walk was Amazing.. Thank you to the Love and support you all give to me, and kaid! We love you all!

Nathan





kaid and me, about to Walk

Ariel, Kent, Me, kaid Karson- Great to see Ariel!

Connie, Kaids Respite Provider- She's The BEST!

My Dad Sporting Thumbs up for the walk!

Tired Kaid, after the walk.. just finished his Hotdog.

karson was Beat!

2 love notes:

smiliesar said...

The teacher I use to work with taught Nathan from k-3rd grade. I heard a lot about him before the accident. It was so sad when we found out this was happening. Yeah for a great walk.

Jennifer said...

That walk is SO cool! What support Kaid has. How sad about Nathan, but how neat that his mom was the speaker and it meant so much to you. That is SO special. Great pictures!